Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I choose the right photographer?
A: When you find a photographer whose images evoke emotions without even knowing the couple in those images, then you have found a good one. Listen to your gut. When it speaks, book that photographer before someone else does.
Q: What is your photographic style?
A: I am a fine art documentary photographer, but more importantly, I’m your story teller. Fearlessly approaching those stories together will create beautiful, artistic images that evoke emotion. I want to freeze those perfect moments, leaving you with timeless photographs to look back at years from now and feel the same joy you did on the day you married your Beloved.
Q: How much coverage do I need?
A: The starting package is 6 hours but we can customize to fit your needs. Coverage typically begins 2 hours before the ceremony and lasts until the end of the reception. Now…if you are party animals, you may want more than 6 total hours…the most fun photographs are always at the end of the party! Most clients average 8-10 hours of coverage.
Q: What does typical wedding coverage include?
A: Wedding coverage includes what you want it to include. It is YOUR day! Most packages are custom built to meet the needs of my bride and groom. Most brides like “getting ready” images, pre-wedding formals, ceremony, family formals, and complete reception coverage.
Q: How many photographers do I get?
A: All of my packages include 2 photographers. For weddings of over 300 guests, I recommend a 3rd photographer. Weddings are frenetic, crazy, joyful events where important things often happen simultaneously. We are not going to miss a second of that joy!
Q: What are the pros and cons of a First Look?
A: I love First Looks and they are becoming more common. Whether a First Look is appropriate is something you and your Beloved will have to discuss. PROS
- Privacy…The First Look gives you and your Beloved the chance to share a private and intimate moment, which is often less restrained.
- Nerves…If walking down the aisle causes you anxiety, an early moment with your Beloved can make this trip a little easier.
- Intimacy…Due to logistical and/or church restrictions during a ceremony, the images of a First Look are more intimate than they can ever be during the ceremony.
- Efficiency…Finishing the formals before the ceremony allows you and your Beloved to have more time for the Romance Session OR immediately start the party at the cocktail hour!
- Privacy…Everyone wants to talk to you on your wedding day. You are the star of the show, after all! A First Look gives you and your Beloved a few moments of well-deserved privacy.
- Tradition…Quite often, especially in the South, grooms don't want a First Look. The ritual and anticipation of watching those doors open to their Beloved walking down the aisle toward them is what THEY have been dreaming about!
- Excitement…While the First Look can take away the anxiety of walking down the aisle, it can also lessen the excitement.
- Timing...You have to get ready earlier in the day (although, who doesn’t want extra time in that gorgeous wedding dress?? Some brides may consider this a pro!) and your close family and guests will have to arrive before the wedding in order to take all of the formals before the ceremony.
- The Moment…A groom watching his Beloved walk down the aisle towards him and their new life together can create a wonderfully candid shot that can be worth the wait.
- Consideration for your guests...Your close family and guests will have to arrive before the wedding so we can get the formals out of the way before the ceremony.
Q: How does a First Look change the timeline?
A: It depends on how many formals you would like to do. Typically, a First Look begins one hour before the ceremony with the formals immediately following.
Q: Is there a way to calculate how long formals will take?
A: Each formal grouping averages 4½ - 5 minutes per shot. I will send you a questionnaire prior to the wedding in order to organize the shots (and people involved in each!) and ensure that things run efficiently
Q: I'm in love with detail shots. Do you photograph details?
A: Absolutely! I adore photographing the details that you have spent precious time planning and selecting. I like to photograph details that abound in the getting ready rooms as well as during the cocktail hour. If the formals are going to take a lot of time, we will send someone over to photograph the reception site. If the cocktail hour is at the reception site, this does affect our ability to extensively photograph the details.
Q: What is a Romance Session?
A: I’m so glad you asked! Romance Sessions are one of my favorite parts of the wedding day. It’s a short photo session, usually following the formals, where I photograph you and your Beloved sharing a few quiet moments. If the mood is right, I will also pull you away for one final dramatic portrait at the end of the evening! These are relaxed, intimate and often my clients’ favorite images from their day.
Q: Do you work off of a shot list?
A: Everyone loves Pinterest, me included. It is a great source of inspiration and you can always request shots or show me images you love. My goal is to understand your story and what you want and then exceed your expectations. My team is very experienced, so just relax. We've got this!
Q: Should we feed you and your assistant?
A: Yes, please! Weddings are marathons and we need fuel! Tell your caterer to plan us a quick plate when you get yours. This ensures that we stay energized and won’t miss any of the action.
Q: Can my family and friends photograph at my wedding?
A: Of course. All I ask is that I am the only professional on site and that your guests do not slow us down. Please tell your vendors we will happily share images with them as well. We want you to feel at ease on your big day and having a barrage of people with cameras can be quite daunting. Just leave all the photography to us.
Q: How long will we have to wait for our wedding photos?
A: Because I personally edit every image you receive to perfection, normal turnaround time for weddings is 10-12 weeks.
Q: Can we ask you to stay longer on the wedding day?
A: Absolutely! We are willing to be with you as long as you need us.
Q: Are you available for our date?
A: Click here and fill out the short form or just give me a ring at 336.404.6949.
Q: Where are you based and are you available for travel?
A: I am based in Greensboro, NC and yes, I love to travel. Give me a ring and we can chat about travel rates and terms.
Q: Do you photograph other events?
A: Yep, I love to photograph anything and everything. Portraits, maternity shots, babies, rehearsal dinners, engagement parties, and corporate events. It’s pretty cool when I get to continue telling someone’s story beyond their wedding.
Q: Can you hold a date for me?
A: Once I have a signed contract and a retainer, the date will be yours.
Q: What happens if I have to change my wedding date?
A: As long as your new wedding date is available, I’m yours. If I am already booked on your new date, no further funds are required.
Q: What is your payment schedule?
A: Payment are due in three installments:
- 1/3 on the date the contract is signed,
- 1/3 120 days before the event and
- 1/3 60 days before the event.
Q: Do we get to meet you before the wedding day?
A: Yes, I can’t wait to meet you and hear all the details of your love story! We can meet for dinner, a cup of coffee or meet the day of the engagement shoot. If we are not in your area, we can arrange a video conference.
Q: Will you help us choose sites for our engagement and bridal sessions?
A: Yep! Questionnaires are another tool that I use to get to know you better. The engagement session questionnaire gives us inspiration on portrait sessions venues.
THE PHOTOGRAPHY TIMELINE
- 9-12 Months Before: Book Your Photographer
- 6-8 Months Before: Engagement Session
- 3 Months Before: Bridal Session
- 1 Month Before: Photographer Consultation
- 7 Days Before: Deliver Your Timeline
- Wedding Day: Relax and Celebrate!
- 8-10 Weeks After: Your images Are Ready. CD Delivered. Online Gallery Goes Live.
- 12-14 Weeks After: Album Draft
- 3-6 Months After: Album Approval and Delivery